Comcast setup & cable modem fees

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 01:47:59PM -0500, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> For networking, I would advise getting your own router. The Linksys 4-port
> wired routers are under $40 - probably closer to $20 mail order. The

If you're in the marked for such a box, do yourself a favor and buy the
Linksys WRT54GL - the linux-based router. It's a bit more expensive than the
standard WRT54G (around $65) but you can replace the firmware (OpenWRT or
DD-WRT) and make it into a very flexible device. I've just hooked up four of
them in WDS mode to make a poor-mans wireless mesh, for instance. You might
also be able to pick up an older WRT54G (up to and including v4) that you can
do this with for cheaper. Avoid v5 - it runs vxworks and the hardware is
crippled (only half the rom and ram).

Ward.

--
Pong.be         -( "Free Software as in free speech, not free beer. Think  )-
Virtual hosting -(       of freedom, not price." -- Richard Stallman       )-