Comcast setup & cable modem fees

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 13:12:50 -0500, Doug <dougsweetser at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Speakeasy said they could do ADSL at the location

Speakeasy is both Linux-friendly and geek-friendly (the two overlap :) ).
Although I do pay significantly more than the lowest-cost DSL, I'm also
free to do just about anything decent I want to with my connection, so it
seems. A while back, they were encouraging their subscribers to set up
wireless access points. If a subscriber wanted to charge for the service,
that was OK with them. I was surprised. Want to run your own server? Fine.
Fixed IP, too.

In roughly two years, I have had only one period of a few hours when
service was not available with no advance notice, and it was in the wee
hours. I came to my senses and got some shut-eye. I leave my bridge on
24/7 (silly, because I shut down between sessions), and have needed to do
power-cycling resynch. maybe six or eight times since I first connected to
them.

A recent chat with a sales guy revealed that Speakeasy treats its
employees very well, and the big boss is around often to talk with his
employees. Nice place to work. I get the impression that they are here to
stay. I also fully expect that they will tell the truth about a matter
even if it temporarily would mean less business for them; in the long run,
that's the way to go. That kind of company gets my business.

Plainly, I'm happy with them. Naturally, YMMV.

As to Comcast, I just don't know; I'm neutral. I do get a lot more Comcast
ads in USPS mail than I do from RCN, though!

Not sure a "sales pitch" like this is appropriate for this list -- please
feel free to clue me off-list (or even on, if that does general good).

Best regards, and good luck!

--
Nicholas Bodley /\ @ /\  Waltham, Mass.
As pointed out by Richard Cohen, Wash. Post, March 9th: