Comcast setup & cable modem fees

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 14:35:15 -0500, John Chambers <jc at trillian.mit.edu>
wrote:

> I tend to feel this is a Good Thing. Speakeasy is linux-friendly. And
> they don't just allow servers; they actively encourage them.  I think
> they've figured out that a customer who runs a web server  is  likely
> to upgrade to a higher speed.

Aha! So *that* is it!

> And their CS people are geeks that you can talk to intelligently.

Indeed. What John says agrees well with my own experiences and impressions.

Speakeasy also has probably the best VoIP available; unfortunately, they
can't offer E911 service for me, yet.

I asked how come Verizon allows them to use the pair to the C.O.* with no
voice, just DSL (incl. VoIP), and they said that they pay Verizon (and,
apparently, a good lot) for the use of the pair.
*telco. Central Office -- one or more exchanges

Combine the [Mb/s data rate per $] of cable with Speakeasy company
policies, and you'd have a really nice setup.

Btw, my pair went bad (very irregular intermittent "frying" noise). After
some good tries, Verizon decided that it would be too costly to locate the
trouble, and cut in a new pair. Ginger-peachy ever since. Had good service
 from them on this.

Regards,

--
Nicholas Bodley /\ @ /\  Waltham, Mass.