War Games --> Musings about computers we knew

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 08:37:24 -0500, Jack Coats <...> wrote:

> <old timer muzing -- warning>

<chat> {Please note msg. priority}

Delightful!

I remember Stephen Gray (?) and the Homebrew Computer Club.  Having been a
computer tech./babysitter for the BMEWS DIP computer in Colo. Springs,
1960--'62, I had a superb education in computer basics*, and had a real
interest in building my own. I'll skip most details, but it was more
important to me to make one that worked, rather than one that worked
really fast, or even fast, at all. However, a lifelong "paralysis of will"
set in, as usual, and I didn't end up doing more than a relay-logic design
for an ALU bit slice. I did have a batch of IBM logic relays...

*and permission to teach myself more, after hours; had a console with a
lighted pushbutton for almost every bit. Paradise! (Machine was ready to
go, several weeks ahead of schedule, and the rest of BMEWS was not yet
operational. Superb design, all-NAND, micro-ops. 19-bit word, probably the
only such machine ever built, and base-32 paper tape code. 4K words of
core, not enough in the long run, naturally.)

Four-Phase Systems, not Intel, was the first company to make a computer
with an IC CPU; was a chip set. Credit to Lee Boysel, iirc, and design was
put into teh public domain. (Open source!) I understand that that company
did a few $billion in business. (I had no connection with them; only read
about them.)

Later, I used CP/M on a Vector Graphic (neither particularly vector, nor
graphic) with hard-sectored 5 1/4-in floppies that held 650 kB. Remember
the PIP command?

Later, I was fortunate in being able to afford an Amiga 1000 system; still
have it, docs, too. Hope it goes to a good home. Its native character set
was Latin-1/ISO8859-1, and it was years before I understood how
significant that was. Seikosha MP-1300AI printer had a selectable charset
(and provision for user-defined fonts). The Sony KV-1311 monitor/TV/video
hacker's delight (but, no true I and Q demod. :( ) is still alive and
well. External floppy drive could be heard in the next room; its head
stepper was amazingly loud.

HP Vectra 386/16N, pluggable mobo. Removing one screw lets you cam out the
mobo with the big plastic handle, after removing the expansion cards. When
the machine was new, 16 MB of RAM cost a tad over $5,000. Still have it.
Solid as a rock. Has a rare codepage swap installed that includes
ISO-8859-[n] for [n] = 1..10 or so, but only one [n] at a time.

Still using a "trailing edge" (if that) Compaq Deskpro 4000; machine's
name is Desqpro, that last, the fulfilling of an ambition; if I ever owend
a Deskpro, I would re-spell. Very solid, nice features for business apps.,
and idiosyncratic. (Software-operated mag. latch cover lock, for one...)
Most distros don't succeed in making it reboot; MS Win will make it
reboot, assuming Win can shut down, first (It usually succeeds...).
Expansion-card chassis is pluggable, but reinstalling it takes roughly
60lb. force if not more, and a flat, stiff tabletop.

Have a TigerDirect Wintergreen Sempron, more up-to-date; Linspire. Will
make it the primary machine RSN.

</kitty> linguistic pun

Best regards,

--
Nicholas Bodley /\ @ /\  Waltham, Mass.
"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the