Google email/domain hosting - WAS Re: test

Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> I am curious, from this group, why people trust google to host your domain
> and email.   From a safety and security standpoint, if you mail hosted on
> your own home machine, you know it is as secure as possible.   There are
> some relatively "trusted" hosting providers, such as pair.com, that people
> recommend.   How might hosting your domain and mail on google differ from
> hosting it somewhere else?   One ansewr could be "why not trust them?"
>
> I do keep in mind that many host provider's financial base and primary
> goal is to host your domain.  Google's is not.
>
> I'd be interested in people's points of view.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Scott

IMHO, I think everything sent to the Internet should be considered
public domain by the sender including any and all email - I do not
expect nor will I receive any privacy.  When I send an email it is
forced to go through several routers, owned by Comcast and other
companies,  so they still "see" what I sent no matter how much privacy I
would like.  If I really do want privacy then I need to find an
encryption algorithm I trust, unfortunately if they want to crack that
they still can as a function clock cycles.  So with that in mind I have
informally ranked my data and how personal it is to me.  If it is a
little personal I can encrypt before I send, very personal its sneaker
net.  If the info isn't personal, then in my opinion why waste a lot of
time protecting it.  I began hosting my email during my freshman year of
college, almost ten years ago now (Gee that makes me feel old...), to
learn a bit about networks, services, UNIX, and force myself to be
reliable.  Well I have done a decent job over the years, and my new
problem is email being accepted by other domains.  When I saw the Google
beta I thought this was a great time to perhaps still have my own
domain, actually sub domain, and not have to think of the other stuff.
The only thing I really want to worry about on my computer is the
information, and I will protect accordingly.  I think the day has come
to turn my Sun Blade 100 back into a Linux machine, from OpenBSD,
without wondering how long it will take to get all of my services
running properly again as it will probably only run one, ssh.

On another note I also look forward to GDrive.  I think thats also a
great idea for the same reasons.  I see no problem with Google brokering
data, I see that problem being intelligently keeping data that is to
personal off of it.

Anthony