external client using IMAP to access mail server

>> On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 07:36:42, Dave Peters <gameslover987 at yahoo.com> said:

   > I am looking for any suggestion about external mail client using
   > IMAP to access mail server. Here is what I think about this: In
   > order to allow external client using IMAP to access mail
   > server. I'll setup a proxy mail server between Firewall and
   > Internal Mail Server, so mail client can access from firewall open
   > port IMAP and point to proxy mail server then forward to real mail
   > server.  Which Proxy Mail Server should I use? Fetchmail or
   > SquirrelMail, sendmail, qmail or any others?

If this happens to be just for your use, an ssh tunnel is often the
simplest solution.  Something like:

   ssh -L 4001:mailserver.host:143 firewall.host

.. and then point your local IMAP client at localhost:4001.

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at mrao.cam.ac.uk>    <http://blog.printf.net/>