Google email/domain hosting

Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> I may consider transferring email to them, but I'd first need to find a
> safe and secure way to do so.   And, a method that their web interface
> will show the date a message was sent/received, and not "today's" date.
>
> One would be IMAP/SSL, but I presume they don't support that...

Given they don't support IMAP for Gmail, I'd assume so as well.

As mentioned in an off-list message, with a little scripting, you should
be able to transfer archives to Google's servers via SMTP. If they are
sent properly, they'll show the correct date.

It won't be over an encrypted channel, but then again these messages
probably didn't arrive over an encrypted channel in the first place.

Also as noted before, importing messages in this fashion will subject
them to Google's spam filtering, which may or may not be desired.

> ...they don't seem to say anything about methods of transfer...

Wanting to do a wholesale import of mail archives is probably something
Google would consider a "power user" feature. Their services are aimed
to cover 80% of the needs of a mass audience.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA