looking for recommnedations for an attorney and/or accountant

On Monday 03 April 2006 3:04 pm, Adam Russell wrote:
> I am currently a W2 contractor. That is, I am a w2 employee of the
> contract agency. I did this initially in order to ensure that i had
> benefits, however, the beneifts they offer I now realize aren't all that
> great. So, I figure if I start my own LLC or S-Corp I can see more of
> the $$ that the contract agency is currently taking from me and just
> negotiate my own benefits.
> That said, I know little of such business details and would like to meet
> with an accountant or attorney for some advice.
> I know there are a lot of expereinced contractor son this list and was
> hoping for a recommendation for such services in the cambridge area that
> will not cost too much.
> How mch can I expect to spend for a meeting and getting a consultation
> and advice?
I've been contracting for 20 years, some 1099, some w2. I've found that a
number of places I work at deal only with a narrow number of agencies. When
I came here in 2004, I was given a list of 5 agencies that were acceptable.
I was able to contact the agencies, check on the rate and benefits, and I
chose what I felt was the best combination. Another thing is who returned
my calls. Since I had a req # in hand, there was no question on what they
would have to do.

In any case, over the past 20 years I have established the agencies that I
prefer to deal with, and  a couple of agencies I would not deal with at all
(one being MODIS). All agencies must provide benefits.

You can incorporate yourself easily enough by using something like the
Company Corporation or LegalZoom.
https://www.corporate.com/howIncStep4.jsp
http://www.legalzoom.com/legalzip/businessservices/index.html?sRefer=

The important thing is that you need to pay a fee to the state in which you
do business, you need to carry liability insurance, and then there is the
issue on how you treat yourself and other employees. I found that most of
the places I have worked require me to be a W2 employee of an agency on
their approved list, but that was Digital/Compaq/HP and a few others.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group