batch process images

On 4/8/06, Josh ChaitinPollak <josh at offthehill.org> wrote:
> If you don't mind sharing, what process do you use to remove the noise?

Gimp is great for image processing.  I use many of the tools to
retouch my images but one of the great features is its ability to
remove noise that is caused by crosstalk between the pixels.  All the
good and expensive cameras have noise reduction software within their
circuitry software.  If you have a lower priced camera you can use
Gimp and the image processing power of your home computer to make your
images look great.  The two primary noise filters that I use are
Selective Gaussian Blur and Unsharp Mask. The parameters can vary but
I will provide the parameters that I use almost exclusively.

Load and image in Gimp
Right-click the image

1). Select FILTERS -> BLUR -> SELECTIVE GAUSSIAN BLUR...
     Use these parameters
     Blur Radius 5.0
     Max Delta 10
    Click OK

Then

  2).Select  Filters -> Enhance -> UnsharpMask
     Use these parameters
     Radius 1.0
     Amount 0.3
    Threshold 0.
   Click OK

You will see an immediate improvement in image quality.  The
parameters may need altered to suit your particular camera.  These
work great for me.

Have fun with Gimp it is a great tool for image enhancement.

Jay