batch process images

"James Kramer" <kramerjm at gmail.com> writes:

> All the good and expensive cameras have noise reduction software
> within their circuitry software.  If you have a lower priced camera
> you can use Gimp and the image processing power of your home computer
> to make your images look great.
> Load an image in Gimp
> Right-click the image
>
> 1). Select FILTERS -> BLUR -> SELECTIVE GAUSSIAN BLUR...
>      Use these parameters
>      Blur Radius 5.0
>      Max Delta 10
>     Click OK
>
> Then
>
> 2).Select  Filters -> Enhance -> UnsharpMask
>      Use these parameters
>      Radius 1.0
>      Amount 0.3
>     Threshold 0.
>    Click OK
>
> You will see an immediate improvement in image quality.  The
> parameters may need altered to suit your particular camera.  These
> work great for me.

I tried this, and the only change I see is a slight loss of detail in
some areas.

However I don't know what I should be looking for.

FWIW the two images are here:

http://jrv.oddones.org/0225-104011.jpg    1931703
http://jrv.oddones.org/0225-104011mod.jpg  672882

I note the modified file is 1/3 the size of the original - apparently
Gimp's compression with the default 85% setting is a lot more
effective than the camera's.  OTOH that could account for the slight
loss of detail.

             - Jim Van Zandt