GPS to Web tools?

On 4/10/06, Josh ChaitinPollak <josh at offthehill.org> asked:

> Can anyone point me in the direction of some Linux tools for logging
> gps data and posting them to a website?

At some point, I want to do the same thing in Perl myself, but it's not
early on my queue.

I would try Perl's GPS::* modules on CPAN to connect to a GPS portably.
    http://search.cpan.org/search?mode=all&query=gps
Variants for Garmin, NMEA, and other brands exist. (I should try this to
pull me waypoints off the old Garmin and push them to the new Garmin.)

For a less-portable, Linux-specific solution, Gentoo package list has
"gpsbabel" and "gpsd" in the sci-geosciences section, but both are "Masked";
and app-misc/gpsdrive. Ubuntu lists the same plus
gpx2shp<http://packages.ubuntulinux.org/breezy/science/gpx2shp>,
dgpsip, gpsd-clients, gpsman, gpstrans.

The Quantian Linux distro has a number of GIS tools, but doesn't appear to
include GPS support out of the box?

Bonus points for a tool that
> can draw graphs of a list of gps coordinates as a graphic and post
> them to the web, which is what I'm really after. Even better if it
> can overlay over a map.

For the graphing on maps, I use the GD lib and Perl wrapper.  While I enjoy
working with map projections, I got permission from JHU to use maps they
developed that are simple to use: LAT=-y, LON=-x. At mid-lattitudes, the
typical aspect ratio of a one-degree "square" isn't that different from the
typical aspect ratio of a pixel, so it works out moderately well -- circles
would be mild ovals.
    http://ema.arrl.org/fd/About.html
The data shown on the maps here are not directly from GPS, but are used to
set GPS waypoints for the visitors whose reported tracks are plotted:
   http://ema.arrl.org/fd/history/tour2003.html

--
Bill
n1vux at arrl.net bill.n1vux at gmail.com