Unzipping a Windows executable archive

On 4/9/06, Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org> wrote:

> gaf at gaf:~/downloads> unzip SP32158.exe
> Archive:  SP32158.exe
>   End-of-central-directory signature not found.  Either this file is not
>   a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive.  In the
>   latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
>   the last disk(s) of this archive.
> unzip:  cannot find zipfile directory in one of SP32158.exe or

Using my knowledge of your like for HP/Compaq products and my experience with
their method of packaging drivers into SP files (and the help of
Google), I surmise
that you are working on installing Windows compatible Broadcom
wireless drivers. :-)

I downloaded the *.exe and pointed a disassembler at it.  All I can
say at this point
is that it appears (based on internal strings) to be a 'packagefortheweb' file.
Apparently this is a format produced by some tool that used to be distributed by
the people who do InstallShield.  The web page about it has been taken
down, but you
can still find references to it in other places.  Someone with more
knowledge Windows
than I would have to tell you if anything else understands that
format.  It would be nice
to know as I also have an HP laptop...

Bill Bogstad