Serial Console Applications?

On Apr 13, 2006, at 10:58 AM, dsr at tao.merseine.nu wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 10:49:00AM -0400, Josh ChaitinPollak wrote:
>> I'm looking for a lightweight serial-console program, ala minicom,
>> for an embedded system. I don't want to use minicom because it
>> depends on ncurses and a X/Y/Z-modem file transfer library, which is
>> too much bloat for this system. The program I have in mind doesn't
>> even need to have modem-dialing abilities. Any suggestions?
>
> At the very low end, there's getty and relatives; somewhere in
> the middle is Kermit.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding or not realizing how getty can be
used... Can a user log ssh into a machine and run "getty /dev/ttyS0"
from the command prompt? When they are done, how do they quit getty?
I think if they can quit getty, it would be a good solution for this
application.

Ward,  what is cu?

-Josh