Please Help me with a Linux Mystery

Kent Borg wrote:
> Mystery #2: What is the list of files Samba looks at, and can I copy
> them over and expect it to work?  (Or, is it like a database where
> copying the underlying files won't work?)

They're mostly text files, so they should copy fine.
Where they are probably depends on your distro to some degree, but
Redhat-based ones put them in /etc/samba/.

One thing that might be outside the scope of those config files is having
the unix usernames that samba is trying to map the samba users to (check
smbpasswd for what unix usernames are needed).

Matt