recording streaming audio

On 4/20/06, Steven L. Kleiman <kleiman at math.mit.edu> wrote:
> During the question period of last night's BLU meeting, I asked about
> recording streaming audio to a file, preferably without involving the
> sound card.  Someone answered enthusiastically that he did it all the
> time using mplayer on the command line, and in fact, wrote a shell
> script to automate the processes.
>
> It seems to me that the script may be of interest to others too.  But,
> unfortunately, I didn't think to get the fellow's name and email
> address.  So I hope this request will reach him, and he'll post his
> script, and tell us how to use.

You don't really need a script, it's not very complex.   But
I wouldn't mind seeing his script either. =)

I do it often with realmedia content from MIT's video site
( http://mitworld.mit.edu/  ).  My connection isn't fast enough
to stream the video's at home so I download them at work,
then replay them at home when I have time to watch them.

mplayer allows you to do it with the dumpstream flag:

mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile content.rm rtsp://site/content.rm

If you have any trouble figuring out the exact set of flags to
do what you want, a web search for "mplayer AND dumpstream
AND (content type file extension)" should yield an example
for you.

Let me know if you can't get it working, and I'll help you
troubleshoot it.

        - VAB

V. Alex Brennen      alexbrennen at gmail.com
       http://cryptnet.net/people/vab/