recording streaming audio

%From alexbrennen at gmail.com  Fri Apr 21 10:22:46 2006
  When I clicked on the "Play Now" button, Firefox popped up a dialog
box asking me if I would like to play the rm file with totem or save
it to disk.  I chose to save it to disk.  Then I went back to my shell
prompt and did "cat <filename>" which gave me the rtsp stream URL to
provide to mplayer on the command line.
  The downloaded file is just a text file with two URLs in it, the
realmedia URL and then another format right below it.
  If your firefox won't give you an opportunity to
save the media file to disk, you can rectify that by going to
Edit->Preferences then clicking on the 'File Types' Icon on the left
and deleting the file association for rm, ra, and ram files.  After
deleting the association it should pop-up the "save or play" dialog
for you the next time you click on "Play Now".
 -SLK-06Apr21> Thanks!  All that info was very helpful.

I think the LIVE.COM libraries issue is an errant error message from
mplayer when the real problem is that it was not able to process the
URL.
 -SLK-06Apr21> Right, seem so.

  If you are using something like gentoo, you may have to get the
"essential codecs package" and "other binary codecs packages" from
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html
 -SLK-06Apr21> I'm using RHEL4, and have already downloaded it all.

and the command that I used to start downloading the same presentation:

vab at sts-01:~$ mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile wilczek.rm \
rtsp://a114.v128006.c12800.g.vr.akamaistream.net/ondemand/7/114/12800/v0001\
/mitworld.download.akamai.com/12800/mitw-ford-nobel-universe-strange-wilcze\
k-07mar2005-220k.rm

If it still doesn't work for you when you copy and past the url out of
the downloaded file, let me know.
 -SLK-06Apr21> And now it also works for me.  Wonderful!

V. Alex Brennen      alexbrennen at gmail.com
       http://cryptnet.net/people/vab/

%From alexbrennen at gmail.com  Fri Apr 21 10:30:48 2006
 It was just a type-o in the URL.  I'm pretty sure you have all the
libs you need.
 -SLK-06Apr21> Well, the command-line version
    $mplayer wilczek.rm
works, although not in the background.  The gui version, gmplayer,
doesn't work, but gives this error message:
  Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x30335652.
Realplayer plays wilczek.rm well too.

-- Thanks again, Steve