usb drive reconnect after power interruption

dsr at tao.merseine.nu wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 02:45:09PM -0400, John Abreau wrote:
>> I have a VMware guest OS on a usb2 external drive, and a short time ago
>> the office lost power for a couple minutes. When power came back on, my
>> laptop saw the usb drive as a brand new drive, and won't mount it under
>> its old id. Meanwhile, the system is holding on to the old id so it can
>> eventually flush its I/O to disk.
>>
>> Is there any way I can tell the system that the usb drive I'm plugging
>> in is the same one it needs to flush the data to? Or is that data just
>> lost forever at this point?
>
> At this point, you may be hosed. I'm not sure that specifying
> mount points by volume id would help in future, but it might.
>
>  mount -L label  or
>  mount -U UUID

The drive originally got recognized as /dev/sdb, and mounted with its
label as /media/OneTouch. After the power outage, VMware had unwritten
I/O waiting for the drive, and the drive instead got loaded as /dev/sdc
and mounted as /media/OneTouch1.

By the time I'm able to mount the drive, it's already past the point
where it's decided the drive is /dev/sdc and not /dev/sdb. I was hoping
there was some way to make it recognize that the drive is the same
/dev/sdb it's waiting for, when I power up the drive.

ICQ 28611923 / AIM abreauj / JABBER jabr at jabber.org / YAHOO abreauj
Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0xD5C7B5D9