Linux Laptop

John Kirby wrote:
> Looking for recommendations for a Linux laptop. I'd like to keep the total
> cost around $1k but can be flexible pending suggestions. Looking for a
> recommendation for OS and laptop brand. One of my concerns is wireless
> card compatibility with whatever distribution I go with. I used to hear a
> lot of linux laptop/wireless horror stories. Maybe it's not as much of an
> issue now. Router is a WRT54GS running DD-WRT in case that plays into it.

I am somehow happy with Dell Inspiron 2200. The price was really sweet ($600
after rebate), wifi works with ndiswrapper on Debian/unstable (currently
sitting in Stata at my wife's office :-)). The only problem is that
keyboard is really crappy. Falling apart just after less than year of
service.

Matej

http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/blog/, Jabber: ceplma at jabber.cz
23 Marion St. #3, (617) 876-1259, ICQ 132822213

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as
the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to
steal bread.
    -- Anatole France