Syncong Palm devices with Linux

OK, I finally did it.  My Palm TX should come tomorrow.

I've been doing a bunch of research, especially into pilot-link, and
that project leaves me confused.  For starters, there's no
"Documentation" page.  There are a few random how-tos, but no
overview/step-by-step anywhere I can find.

What bothers me more is that their last official release was about three
years ago, the beta "pre releases" for the upcoming version started over
a year ago, and the very latest "pre-release" was almost a year ago.  Is
this an active project or not?  How does a project get stuck in the
prerelease stage for over a year, while insisting everyone should use
the latest prerelease because it works?

Are there alternatives?  It seems like any Palm sync solution for Linux
calls pilot-link under the covers, just like every CD buring solution
calls cdrecord under the covers.

Is it gonna work with my TX, which didn't exist when the last prerelease
was published a year ago?

Thanks.