gnu/linux on AMD: 64-bit or 32-bit?

Jerry Feldman wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 May 2006 9:30 am, David Rosenstrauch wrote:
>> John Kirby wrote:
>>> Friend of mine just mailed me. He got a swank new machine and was
>>> curious about 64bit vs 32bit versions of distributions:
>>>
>>> "My processor is an AMD Athlon 64. This means I could opt for a 64-bit
>>> version of Linux -- I have seen several. I'm fearful though that I may
>>> end up with something less tested and hence less stable than a plain
>>> old 32-bit version.
>>>
>>> What do you think?"
>>>
>>> I only have experience with RH and Suse 32-bit installs so any feedback
>>> I can pass on is appreciated.

I am running Fc5_64 on a semperon and have had no problems
with the office and desktop Apps. I have had problems with
the some samba commands related to tar backups. Also VLC the
  movie dvd player has been crashing on me and I haven't
really looked to see what the problem is. The Totem
movie/media player has worked just fine. There has been
marginal increases in the speed of file access and other
disk read write activities, but not enough to be a deciding
factor.

till next
	Jim Kelly-Rand