Weird SMTP timeouts

John Abreau writes:

> How can I watch what sendmail is doing when I process the queue? I'd
> like to watch the complete protocol as it happens so I can be certain
> what it's doing, but I haven't had any luck getting either sendmail
> or tcpdump to show me that.

Two ways:

1:  tcpdump 'host helmbriscoe and port 25'

2:  (which I highly recommend)  Use Ethereal.  You can setup a capture
filter if you want, but you'll probably find a display filter to be
even more useful.  Bring up the GUI, select a packet relevant to your
SMTP operation, and then with your mouse do <right-button> -> Follow
TCP Stream.  This will show you the packets related to that particular
session.  Another thing you might find to be useful is to try the
"Update list of packets in real time" option.

I doubt that ToS has anything to do with this problem.  That said, I'm
not sure what the problem is either.

Regards,

--kevin
--
GnuPG ID: B280F24E                     And the madness of the crowd
alumni.unh.edu!kdc                     Is an epileptic fit