Interface Errors

I've heard that Dell switches are absolute pieces of garbage, and that you
get exactly what you pay for when you buy them. Do you have any non-Dell
switches you can put in place to see if the interface errors will go away
then? You can get little five-port GigE switches from Netgear for about
$50 these days. I realize I'm recommending a crap switch to isolate what
was more expensive hardware, but you haven't ruled out your switch as a
problem yet. Just swapping a Dell switch with another Dell switch doesn't
rule out that their hardware can't handle your load.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/archive/thread/437041-1.html
gs "dell ethernet switches crap" for more entries like that

If everything in your datacenter is Dell, you can put a non-Dell switch
between your server and the next switch, and see if the error gets
isolated by the intermediate non-Dell switch instead of getting passed on
to the server. You could accomplish the same thing with a dual-nic linux
bridge box. That way, you could use ifconfig / iptables / ebtables to
monitor both sides of the connection and isolate errors to one side.

Dell server <> bridge box eth0 <> bridge <> bridge box eth1 <> Dell switch
http://linux-net.osdl.org/index.php/Bridge

I'm also assuming you haven't done anything idiotic, like run your
ethernet cables on the floor and had given tours to people in high-heels,
or run your ethernet cables along flourescent lights, or quick-tie the
ethernet cables to high-current power cables, and wonder why you're
getting errors.

--
David Backeberg (dave at math.mit.edu)