Linux Newbie Info Request

    JD> Here is my question: I need to secure some reliable hardware
    JD> to learn this stuff on. Laptops would be great, but a desktop
    JD> is sufficient. I am looking online for places that might be
    JD> able to supply a machine already running this stuff. I figure
    JD> I will learn it from a proper, sound installation first. Then
    JD> I can install it myself once I get the general hang of it.

    JD> There doesnt seem to be a place (at least, from my googling
    JD> there doesnt) that specializes in the sort of thing or can
    JD> even provide the service.

    JD> If any of you are aware of a way for me to address this, or a
    JD> place that could help me, I would appreciate it.

I just went through buying a new machine, and ended up getting
a generic machine and putting Ubuntu on it.  The Ubuntu install is
pretty slick these days, although their default install has holes in
it that might be hard for a newbie to navigate around.  But the two
places I found that would have sold me a pre-installed system for
something like what a generic Windows system costs were:

<http://system76.com/>
<http://www.ibexpc.com/linuxsystems.html>

If you do decide to install it yourself, or have problems with the
holes in someone else's installation, I'm sure this list will be happy
to help.

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad at laymusic.org , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097	fax: (501) 641-5011