Which distros should I consider ?

On Thursday 13 July 2006 10:53 am, Kent Borg wrote:
Suse     Popular on this list, but unclear future (?), pay.
I don't see an unclear future.
SuSE Linux (OpenSuSE) is free and fully open source.
They also have a retail version that you can buy that comes with
installation support and some additional packages that may not be
OpenSource. Their philosophy is similar to Red Hat, but somewhat different.
Open SUSE 10.x, SUSE 10.x, SLED 10, SLES 10 are all based on the same code
base. The consumer versions (SUSE 10.1 and OpenSUSE 10.1) are somewhat
cutting edge as is Fedora where SLED 10 and SLES 10 is released long after
the initial SUSE 10.0 was released. The main difference in philosophy is
that the consumer and enterprise versions use the same code base. The
support model for the consumer versions is community support (+
installation support for retail).

As I mentioned, Ubuntu is an up and coming release that is based on Debian.
This is a distro to watch as Mark Shuttleworth has some very specific
plans. I suspect that it will, in the long run, not use Debian bits.

Mandrivia (formerly Mandrake) has not been based on Red Hat for a number of
years.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group