Which distros should I consider ?

On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 11:11:03AM -0400, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> On Thursday 13 July 2006 10:53 am, Kent Borg wrote:
> > Suse     Popular on this list, but unclear future (?), pay.
> I don't see an unclear future.

I thought since it was bought by Novell some were unconvinced the US
company would have a long enough attention span to be counted on.  But
maybe I was seeing a posting by a troll.  Listen to Jerry on this, he
knows a lot more about it than I do.

> SuSE Linux (OpenSuSE) is free and fully open source.

Which means it can never go away <poof!> the way a commercial product
can.  The beauty of open source.

> As I mentioned, Ubuntu is an up and coming release that is based on
> Debian.  This is a distro to watch as Mark Shuttleworth has some
> very specific plans. I suspect that it will, in the long run, not
> use Debian bits.

Interesting possibility for what happens to Ubuntu.  Maybe more
interesting is what happens to Debian after the tsunami named Ubuntu
passes to a non-Debian world.

> Mandrivia (formerly Mandrake) has not been based on Red Hat for a
> number of years.

Yes.  What does one say of Mandrivia these days?  What is the short
description?

-kb