SOAP

Howard wrote:
>> You might want to check back with the vendor and see if they can
>> provide some sample code that is executable, like a Perl script.
>>
>> If they can't, you'll either have to code something up (there are
>> SOAP modules available for Perl, for example), or hire someone to
>> do this.
>
> what if we use .xml that is not SOAP, would this be
> easier than trying to configure SOAP?

SOAP is the protocol being used by your paging vendor. The XML is used
in two places, as a means of documenting the interface (the WSDL, or Web
Services Description Language[1]), and as part of the SOAP[2]
communication protocol.

By analogy, your ISP might use the POP3 protocol for providing access to
your mail, which is formatted as RFC822 messages. Here RFC822 describes
the formatting of the data (roughly equivalent to WSDL here) and POP3 is
the transport protocol (roughly equivalent to SOAP here). The two work
together.

It may be possible that your paging vendor provides an alternative
interface that doesn't require SOAP. Perhaps one that simply requires
assembling parameters into a URL. You'll want to check with your vendor.

I'd recommend doing some background reading on web services[3]. The
links below should get you started. I'd recommend starting with #3 and
working backwards.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WSDL
2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOAP
3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_service