strange apache/php problem

I'm in a strange situtation with a solaris system.

I'm trying to add support for php to an existing apache install
(1.3.something) but I can't re-build or re-install apache because it's a
standard configuration for some web based applications.

I figured the easiest way would be to configure apache to call the php
executable to parse the files externally.  But I seem to have missed
_something_ and can't figure out what.

If I run "php index.php" the output looks fine, and the php files are
mediawiki so they should be ok.

BUT

When I try to browes to php file I get: "500 Internal Server Error"
and error_log gets: "Premature end of script headers:
/opt/sfw/user/local/php/bin/php"

What I've done in httpd.conf is the following:

add index.php to DirectoryIndex
ScriptAlias /php/ "/opt/sfw/usr/local/php/bin/"
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
AddHandler php-script .php
Action php-script /php/php

Does anyone have any ideas on what I've missed?

Frank J. Ramsay
fjramsay1234 at hotmail.com