Buffalo wireless (was suse installation problems)

On Monday 07 August 2006 11:50 pm, Ken Gosier wrote:
> Many thanks for all the help; my next task is to get wireless networking
> going with suse. I currently have a Buffalo WHR-G54S wireless router and
> Netgear WG111 adapter, but they refuse to talk to each other, even under
> Windows. (I turned off all encryption etc., the adapter sees the router
> and says it connects, but then refuses to download anything from the net.

It is possible that you simply have your system misconfigured and that both
the router and the NIC are working.
Take a look at your configuration.
The important pieces are ifconfig.
If you have an IP address (assuming DHCP), then the WLAN is working.
Try pinging the gateway.
Also, take a look at your routing table: Here is what mine looks like:
gaf at sauron:~> route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
xxx.129.16.0   0.0.0.0      255.255.248.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
169.254.0.0     0.0.0.0      255.255.0.0     U     0      0        0 eth0
127.0.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo
0.0.0.0         xxx.129.16.1  0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

The first line tells the system how to route to the subnet you are on, the
4th is the default route. This should point to the gateway. The 3rd is the
localhost, and the second you can ignore for now.

> This is the task for tomorrow. I may toss the Netgear and just buy a
> Buffalo adapter; I have to track down if Buffalo adapters are supported
> under Linux--
I am not familiar with any Buffalo products. I would avoid their NIC because
the info I have seen indicates that it does not have a driver for Linux.

The first thing you need to do is to make sure that the Buffalo router is
functioning properly and the netgear is dead. One way to test the Netgear
is to go to an open WIFI site, such as Panera Bread, and see if you can
connect.

The other thing to do is to verify that the  Buffalo router works.

Here is a blurb on a Netgear Wireless NICWG511T and SuSE 10.0:
http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/17037.html

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group