nfs: sharing directory without running DNS

jbk wrote:
> dsr at tao.merseine.nu wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 13, 2006 at 07:06:53AM -0400, jbk wrote:
>>> As the subject line states, I am trying to share a directory on one
>>> computer in my local network with another without a local DNS
server.
>>> Is this possible?
>>
>> Sure. You can specify NFS mounts by IP address, or you can put names
>> in /etc/hosts on all the machines in question.
>>
>> -dsr-
>>

> This I have done, but I still get 'error: no route to host'.
>
> /etc/exports contains:
> #
> /frodo/Fc5all 10.251.227.*(ro,no_root_squash,insecure)
> /data 10.251.227.3(rw)
>
> Checking nfs status:
> # /sbin/service nfs status
> rpc.mountd (pid 1757) is running...
> nfsd (pid 1754 1753 1752 1751 1748 1746 1745 1744) is running...
> rpc.rquotad (pid 1730) is running...
>
> The /etc/hosts file is populated with the ip's hostnames and aliasses,

> and /etc/resolve.conf points to my isp's server address.
>
> I am trying to share Fc5all to do a network install.

Hi jbk,

Forgive me if I ask questions that have already been covered, I just
joined the list.

"No route to host" is typically an issue on the IP layer. You'll see it
when the client is trying to establish a connection to a machine outside
the client's subnet, and the client has no route to the server's
network.

Check and make sure you have the default route set correctly and that
your netmask is set correctly. Then try and ping/traceroute to the
server; if that doesn't work, post some of your network configuration
and we'll try and debug from that.

-Adam