NameMedia, Inc.
(P) 781-839-2828
(C) 781-424-3531
mshields at namemedia.com
page-mshields at yesdirect.com
http://www.namemedia.com

-----Original Message-----
From: discuss-bounces at blu.org [mailto:discuss-bounces at blu.org] On Behalf
Of Jerry Feldman
Sent: Monday, August 14, 2006 10:38 AM
To: discuss at blu.org
Subject: Re: Fedora Core 5 freezes on Dell Dimension E510

On Monday 14 August 2006 10:30 am, Matt Shields wrote:
> I haven't gotten as far as trying to drop to init3 yet, but that was
on
> my list.  I've done a couple reinstalls with both the x86 and x86_64
> discs.
>
> Tonight I'll try patching system (specifically kernel) and installing
> new ATI driver and let you all know tomorrow.
I think you should be able to disable hyperthreading in the BIOS. I
would
avoid patching the kernel.
In any case, if you disable hyperthreading and specifically use the
single-processor kernel then see what happens. Then use the SMP kernel
(still with hyperthreading disabled) and see what happens. Then, install

the ATI driver if you can keep the system up that long.

Additionally, have you tried one of the stand-alone distros, such as
Knoppix?
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group