Thanks for the mail sending help at the last meeting

On Friday 25 August 2006 10:13 am, David Kramer wrote:
> At the last meeting, I asked about setting up my postfix mail server so
> that I can securely send mail from my laptop remotely, using some kinda
> SMTP authentication.  The advice I got was to not do that, but set up an
> openvpn connection between my server and my laptop.
>
> I got the VPN working, but I couldn't send mail, because it said "relay
> denied".  A little poking led me to add the VPN IP address to the
> $mynetworks variable in the postfix config file, and now it all works.
>
> Oh, for bonus points, I set up Firefox to use "mail.thekramers.net" for
> SMTP.  Then I use SUSE's SCPM (System Configuration Profile Manager) to
> switch between two versions of /etc/hosts, one that maps
> mail.thekramers.net to my server's internal card, and one that maps
> mail.thekramers.net to the VPN address.  Way cool.
Another advantage of SCPM is that you can use it to control the proxy
settings. On my laptop, my HP profile includes the proxy environment
variables set by YaST so that when I use the HP profiles, I have the
proxies set, but when I am outside of HP, I automatically get no proxy.

I also have the system set up so that when at MIT, it uses the MIT essid so
I pick up the proper network. You can also have different profiles for
networks with different key settings.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group