testing network saturation / bandwidth / latency

Hi Josh,

Where on your network do you want to test? Are you interested in the
latency on a local network or over the internet to a specific site - in
other words, can you describe the topology of the network a little more?

Some tools to look at include using SNMP to track the bandwidth used
over time, using a tool like ntop or iptraf on a linux host that is
acting as the firewall/router/ids box, or doing simple host-to-host test
with ICMP (ping, traceroute, etc).

If you're on a LAN I would look at the data link and the physical layer
as well - make sure your switches or NICs aren't flaking out, or a bad
cable is causing issues, or the duplex and negotiated speed is set
correctly, and so forth.

Thanks,

Adam Fletcher
Director, Information Technology