Attack from a reserved address

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006, Bill Horne wrote:

> The log fragment below is from the auth.log on my Debian Sarge box.
> I think someone is doing a dictionary attack: these have been coming in
> from this address for a couple of days, but when I put the IP into
> samspade (http://www.samspade.org/), it comes up "Reserved by IANA".

Running whois on that IP shows it allocated in Korea:

inetnum:      125.248.0.0 - 125.251.255.255
netname:      PUBNETPLUS
descr:        DACOM-PUBNETPLUS
descr:        DACOM Bldg, 65-228. Hangangro3ga. Yongsan-gu, SEOUL, 140-716
descr:        ************************************************
descr:        Allocated to KRNIC Member.
descr:        If you would like to find assignment
descr:        information in detail please refer to
descr:        the KRNIC Whois Database at:
descr:        "http://whois.nic.or.kr/english/index.html";
country:      KR

The IANA reports 125.0.0.0/8 as being registered by APNIC:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space

I'm guessing Sam Spade is running with old or just wrong data.

--
Greg

believed to be clean.