WRT54GL or WRTSL54GS

On Tue, 2006-09-05 at 14:36 -0400, Bob - BLU wrote:
> On 09/03/06 18:19, Jon Masters wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 12:17 -0400, Bob - BLU wrote:

> > Iff you're planning to actually install OpenWRT or similar, get the GL
> > Linux hacker friendly one.
>
> Thanks for the response, Jon!
>
> They both appear to be hackable, linux friendly and usable with
> HyperWRT Thibor and OpenWrt.

It took 5 minutes to unpack and reflash this WRT54GL on the weekend. I
think the longest task was removing the sticky plastic labels from the
casing (damn this thing is well packaged). It's now happily sitting in
my parent's place and routing their traffic.

> While the WRT54GL is more popular the newer WRTSL54GS sports
> different hardware features.  Notably, double the RAM and Flash,
> and supports USB storage.

I've considered that as an upgrade for my parents[0] and I'll probably
pick one up next month and give it a whirl. I like the idea of
installing Lustre on this once I get my distributed filesystem up and
running - there's something fun about transatlantic secure backups...

Actually, I bought a D-Link DSL-G604T (blogged about it's crappiness)
last week too. It's running some MVL variant but it's been so badly done
that the only nice thing about this product is the fact that you can
shell into it and work around some of the braindeadness. Unfortunately,
there's no free space in their flash image and it bricked itself on
upgrade - but I've got hardware JTAG so I'll use it for OpenWRT...

Jon.

[0] I think my folks have slightly more IT needs than most :-) At the
moment, I'm working on high availability solutions for me to run their
networking/etc. from the US - still need to add in a new remote MythTV
so they get a PVR that doubles as a high quality video conf. system.

believed to be clean.