file recovery for bad drives

Nicholas Bodley wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 21:41:53 -0400, jbk <jbk at mail2.gis.net> wrote:
>
>> Testdisk comes with a lot of distributions
>
> I just Googled on [testdisk], and found several encouraging "hits".
> Thanks, so much!
I would follow the help/howto's offered on the testdisk web
site they are pretty thorough for FS.

> Some time back, I mistakenly over-wrote a FAT32 archive partition (~17
> GB, iirc) with an ext3fs. As soon as I finished licking my mental

> Not yet asking for help, really, but am curious about whether there's
> any chance of reconstructing the FAT(s).  Fortunately, I had defragged,
> shortly before munging.
I have only used TD to restore the mbr so I could recover
data from a dying disk or maybe I just used it to grab the
data, I don't remember the particulars anymore.

> I do think such a potentially-destructive command as [mkfs] should do
> some simple, practical checks on the partition about to have an f/s
> built in it, and put up a warning, if things don't look right. After
> all, iirc, [rm * -f] with the recursive option does ask, first. Wonder
> whether a polite note to the GNU folks would be considered by them.
The feature is probably on the to do list.

> Best regards,
>
> --Nicholas Bodley  /*|*\ Waltham, Mass.
> A commentator for Howthingswork at YahooGroups
> who eventually munged a couple of his Linux installations

Jim

believed to be clean.