Default email address in sendmail?

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 08:18:27AM -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> David Kramer <david at thekramers.net> writes:
>
> > "It's for a friend..."
> >
> > Crusty old Solaris box running sendmail.  What he wants to do is
> > redirect all mail that doesn't have a user, and send it on to one
> > address, instead of rejecting it.
> >
> > How does he do it?
>
> I would recommend against that.  For one thing, it'll get TONS of
> spam.  For another, it breaks most sender-verification techniques.

Yes, it does break verification.

He might not care about that given what he's trying to do.

David - /etc/aliases is all I can think, but that requires knowing what
user names will be used.  IIRC aliases has no provision for regular
expressions.

Otherwise, I'm sure that deep in the bowels of sendmail.cf there is a
way to rewrite all incoming addresses "not to user X" to be sent to
"user Y".  However a very wise UNIX guru once said to me:

"sendmail.cf? Don't go there..."          :-)

> This message has been scanned for viruses by a peice of lint
> and is believed to be free of any terrorist activity

(Does any believe or even read those stupid messages that could
just as easily have been put in by malware?)

believed to be clean.