Sr Systems Administrator
NameMedia, Inc.
(P) 781-839-2828
mshields at namemedia.com
http://www.namemedia.com

-----Original Message-----
From: discuss-bounces at blu.org [mailto:discuss-bounces at blu.org] On Behalf
Of Scott Ehrlich
Sent: Sunday, October 08, 2006 10:40 AM
To: discuss at blu.org
Subject: Dialup ISP suggestions?

I have a very cheap account with an ISP who uses Level 3's modems.  In
the
past, they have been relatively reliable.   For those who still use
dialup
ISPs, what are your thoughts of Level 3 these days?

I may opt to switch from the ISP to World, who doesn't seem to use Level

3.   What are people's thoughts of World?

My dialup needs are sparse - occassional connection to ssh and web
browsing via bluetooth between my PDA and Verizon cell phone, using
voice
minutes, thus not paying Verizon for any data, and the ability to dial
the
ISP as long as I have some kind of signal.

I'm paying under $10/month, and that is good for my use.   I'm going to
be
sticking with verizon for another two years (just renewed) so GPRS is
not
an option.

The World is $20/month, which is more than I'd like to spend.  Despite
the
price, how reliable are they these days?

What other low-cost, reliable dialup ISPs are there with unlimited
connect
time, that don't use Level 3 modems?

I'd considered bringing in another line to create a homemade ISP, but
the
monthly charges are greater than $10/month, so it ain't worth it.

Thanks.

Scott

believed to be clean.