FC5, XOrg, GNOME, Display Resolution question w/ external monitor

Well, I figured something out about my X issue..  I reconfigured
my system into a "dual head" configuration using FC5's system-config-display,
turned on "dual head" mode, set up "individual desktops", and set
the resolution to 1024x768.  (maybe I set it to "spanning desktops" --
I dont recall.  The config system seems not to have recalled my
settings even though the X configuration seems to work right).

Now, when I start X with the second monitor connected it all works
as I want.

HOWEVER, if I start X WITHOUT the second monitor attached, then when
I finally attach the second monitor it doesn't act as a second desktop
but instead it just clones the first monitor at the first display's
resolution (1600x1200), which really isn't what I want.

Is there some way to get X/GNOME to initialize the second display
even when there isn't a monitor attached when I start X?

-derek

believed to be clean.