linux desktop neutral startup programs...

So, in one of our many labs here @ work, we have about 30 Linux work
stations, currently running Ubuntu. We tend to have jsut about every
available window manager/desktop installed on these, and allow teh users
to pick, at login (via gdm) which one they want to use.

The issues is, we use a printing accounting system called paper cut,
which we don't currently have on our linux boxes. this is because simply
adding them to the default gnome start up, wouldn't work, since not
everyone uses gnome. Another solution is not to have the program auto
start, but rather have a shortcut on the desktop a user can click on.
once again, this would have to be desktop neutral, and, also, the user
home directories are nfs automount, meaning we cannot do any of this
though dotfiles etc in the user home dir.

anyone have any ideas of experience with things like this?

thanks
--
Matthew Nicholson <sjoeboo at sjoeboo.com>
sjoeboo.com