imapd blues

It's just me. Currently I'm using over 500Megs of disk space on my
commercial mail server
and it just grows and grows and I keep getting over quota charge
penalties. I want to setup
another imap server on my own pc so that I can use it as a mail backup.
Thus I want to be
able to drag and drop mail items in thunderbird from my main mail area
to local storage.

Cheers. Steve.

dsr at tao.merseine.nu wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 10:12:24AM -0400, Stephen Adler wrote:
>
>> I want to setup imapd on my system, but I'm having trouble with
>> authentication. I'm running Red Hat Enterprise 4 and it looks like
>> cyrus-imapd is configured to use saslauthd. I'm also running NIS and
>> the host which is running imapd is not the NIS master, so the password
>> needs to be fetched out
>> through a yp call of some sort. I ran across a program testsaslauthd
>> which also fails when I
>> try to authenticate myself. So I figure my problem is in the saslauthd
>> configuration. Can anyone
>> give me some words of advice? Is it possible to get imapd just to
>> authenticat through NIS
>> password? Or through pam or whatever?
>>

> Cyrus is a strange beast and may not be suitable for your needs.
> Do you store mail in mbox, MH or Maildir? Do you have any users
> who want both command-line access and IMAP access?
>
> -dsr-

believed to be clean.