SpamAssassin rule for stock pump and dump spam

Rich Braun wrote:
> During the past month or so I've been getting a new deluge of spam.
>
> These messages contain a binary image plus a couple kbytes of randomly
> cut/pasted text.  They are intended to get suckers to bid up a penny stock...

There seems to be a trend towards using anti-virus scanning engines to
detect stuff like this. ClamAV (http://www.clamav.net/), for example,
probably detects more scams than viruses these days. Their official
database includes a bunch of signatures, and then there are third party
signature databases specifically for phishing and scams:

http://www.sanesecurity.com/clamav/

> ...the folks at Spamassassin.org have yet to add new rules (latest
> version is 3.1.7).

While a rules-based tool shouldn't need to be updated as often, it still
seems like there should be an automated service for updating the rules
periodically. Have they added support for that in SpamAssassin?

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA