Community WiFi: Invitation to Nov 8 Event in Boston (fwd)

Hope to see some of you at this event next Wednesday. See
invitation below. As discussed at a recent BLU meeting, Roofnet
software runs on Linux. At Castle Square we have it on close to
100 Netgear WFT634u routers each purchased for $50 or less
(mostly refubs). -s.

--------------------------

We invite you to a presentation next Wednesday, Nov 8 at 3:00 pm
regarding the Castle Square wireless mesh network. With support
from the Boston Foundation and WinnDevelopment, the Castle Square
Tenants Organization (CSTO) has collaborated with the Benjamin
Franklin Institute of Technology, MIT researchers, and J Ryan
Solutions to create a wireless community network offering free
Internet access to interested residents of our 500-unit housing
development.

We would like to share with you our experience, which has
involved significant obstacles and frustration as well as, more
recently, substantial success testing out a new system of sharing
a small number of Internet connections with a large number of
residents.

In Boston, Cambridge, Brookline and an increasing number of other
cities in the Commonwealth, there are plans for city-wide WiFi.
But typically the plans for such networks do not call for the
network to reach much beyond the exterior walls of buildings...
often only to the lower floors. In Boston, for example, the
Mayor's wireless task force report recommendations stated:

"For the end-user interface, the network must be designed to
bring the wireless signal to customer exterior wall; it is the
customer's responsibility to propagate the signal within their
residence (the "first yard"). Additionally, it is recommended
that the network be designed to allow end-users to extend the
network by bringing their own router / access points to act as
mesh nodes. This type of mesh architecture will provide a truly
unique platform for economic development, application
development, and innovation." http://tinyurl.com/ylxwzo (pg. 25)

So, if a city network brings inexpensive wireless Internet to the
exterior walls of affordable housing developments in your
neighborhood, what will be the best way to bring it inside to
cover entire apartment complexes? Please come join us on November
8 to learn how one housing development has been addressing such
issues and let's share our thoughts and experience in regard to
how citywide networks can be most effective at ensuring equitable
access to the Internet for all citizens.

Please pass this invitation on to others you know who may be
interested.

We will start in our community room by providing an overview of
the project, then take a brief tour to look at our outdoor
wireless infrastructure. We'll conclude back in the community
room with some light refreshments, question and answer, and open
discussion.

We hope that you can join us for this event. If you plan to
attend, would you kindly send us an email at
eflorescsto at gmail.com or call 617-482-4605. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Deborah Backus, Executive Director    Emilio Flores
Castle Square Tenants Organization    Wireless Program Manager
476 Tremont Street
Boston, MA  02116

believed to be clean.