ISPs that don't do PAP (or help with VPN)

I'm looking for a low-cost dialup ISP that supports more than PAP for
authentication.   Thus far, Galaxy, ISP.com, and Fry's all only support PAP.

I am looking to use my PDA (Palm 5 Sony Clie or iPAQ Windows Mobile 2003) via
bluetooth to my cell phone (Verizon Wireless) and neither PDA supports PAP.
The only way to get PAP to work, that I've found, is to use a VPN client with
encryption disabled.  But, I have no VPN server to connect to, unless I can
find a way to get my Fedora Core 5 laptop to link to my other 10BaseT NIC, and
VPN via my cable modem connection.

So, does anyone know of an ISP that supports more than PAP, or of a way to
configure Fedora Core 5 as a VPN server using my existing Ethernet connection,
and not including the landline in the mix?

The only other option I'm going to try is a Cingular prepaid MediaNet
pay-as-I-use SIM card in a SIM Compact Flash GSM module for my iPAQ (GSM module
obtained from Ebay for half the street price) and see how far that gets me.

I barely use PDA-basd Internet access, but if I want it, it is nice to have.  I
have more than enough minutes on my current cell plan (VZW), so if I can find a
way to perform a BT connection (using the phone as a BT modem), that would be
ideal.

Thanks.

Scott

believed to be clean.