G++ an multiple architectures

I've got an Intel X86_64 box that I installed with the intention of doing
both 64-bit and 32-bit development. I installed the compatibility arch
packages.
On one of the systems, before I installed the compatibility systems I
could compile a simple C++ hello world program (g++ hello.cc -o hello):
#include <iostream>
int main()
{
        std::cout << "hello, world!" << "\n";
        return 0;
}
The executable was built as a 64-bit binary. However, I have a number of
32-bit libraries I need to link some code with, and I found that using the
-m32 switch was not working because I had not installed the 32-bit
support. After installing, I am no longer able to compile either 64-bit or
32-bit. I was able to log into an RHEL 4.0 Opteron system, and I could
build either 32-bit or 64-bit with no problem.
Here is a partial error list:
In file included from hello.cc:1:
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/iostream:44:28:
bits/c++config.h: No such file or directory

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Associate Director

believed to be clean.