Server hacked, Desperate for help with FC6

Paul Baumgardner wrote:
> On 11/24/06, David Kramer <david at thekramers.net> wrote:
>> My server was hacked, and I needed to reload.  I decided to go with
>> FC6 instead of SUSE because the most recent SUSE I had was 10.0.
>
> If you know Suse then why not just wait for the download of the ISO?

Because this is also my mail server, and I didn't want to test the good
graces of my friend who is set up as my secondary MX.

> Or just install 10.0 or whatever the is the latest greatest you have
> and then update?

I don't trust version upgrades.  I've seen too many go poorly,
especially when non-RPM software is involved.  So when I go to a new OS
release, I back up everything and install from scratch.  That makes it a
lot more work, but you have to remember that I'm a Software Engineer,
not a SysAdmin, so I don't always choose the right path, or know exactly
  how to follow it once I've chosen it.  In the past I've offered BLU
member SysAdmins money several times to come over and fix some problem,
but nobody's taken me up on that.

So I would rather not reinstall 10.0 then redo it all again when 10.2
comes out.  10.0 was pretty long in the tooth and causing me
compatibility problems, especially as I tried to do things like getting
my PVR-350 card working with MythTV.

And, getting your server hacked on Thanksgiving weekend when your
parents are visiting is a little frazzling, too.

Oh, and the SUSE/MSFT deal pissed me off and didn't help either.

believed to be clean.