Thread and Reply to List Breakage (Windows users?)

On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 01:09:16PM -0500, Matthew Gillen wrote:
> Jeff Kinz wrote:
> > The List-ID field does not appear in emails which were CC'd to the list
> > and we need that field for sorting list emails.
>
> Who is "we"?
Matt, most people I know who sort their list traffic info folders do so
using the "List-ID" or "X-List" headers.  Thats part of what those
headers are for. In fact those headers are the reason why we don't need
a "[Blu-Discuss]" label in the subject field. Its redundant information.

> > Remember, you can't sort to list folders based on the carbon copy
> > address because that causes other problems.
>
> Like what?
The cc info is not sufficiently unique, nor consistent enough to be used
for sorting info in any generalized way. It could only be used by
special casing every possible permutation that might occur.
That would have to be done by "programming special case of X"
workarounds in, one for each special Case(email list)and its possible
permutations additional lists cc'd etc.. and needs to be
done everytime you add or drop an email list.

On the other hand, using the "List-Id:" for sorting solves all these
issues automatically.  It generalizes very well.

> > Please don't reply to individuals when participating in list threads,
> > reply to the list (The way God intended! :-)  ) Unless you have a
> > specific need or reason to reply to that individual.
> To do as you suggest, given the current state of things, I need to do
> a reply-all to get the blu address in the CC field, then manually edit
> the header to make the CC into a TO.

Its a single keystroke command for me, "L".  I don't know why your email
client makes it any harder than that.

No extra work, no hoops.  The last two email clients I've used have this
function available.  Currently I use mutt.  If your email client doesn't
have a reply to list function you may want to look into mutt.

> you're fighting a losing battle to expect people to jump through extra
> hoops just for you (even though I did jump through that hoop this one
> time).

Matt- I don't want people to jump thru extra hoops for me. I just want
them to be smart about things. :-)

Like not sending two copies of the same message, and not sending a
message in a way that removes it from its thread context.

Jeff Kinz

--
This e-mail was created by voice dictation using Dragon's
NaturallySpeaking.  There may be errors, omissions, or additions

believed to be clean.