UPS - single points of failure

I worked at a place where we had dual UPS available to all servers.
We made a box with an AC relay, that stayed pulled in to power single
power supply equipment.  If the UPS failed to the AC relay, it dropped
out and connected to the secondary power source (second UPS).

It was a tripple pole double throw AC relay, with about 10A AC rating
or more per contact.  Put MOVs across all the contacts, and torroids
on the AC power lines going to the machines as a help.

An easy hack, but a hastle none the less.

When the power failed on the 'primary' there was about a 1 cycle
(1/60th of a second) or less 'outage'.  Machines with good power
supplies handle that easily.

believed to be clean.