kernel / video problem

Bill Mills-Curran wrote:
> After rebooting to runlevel 5, I could not get back to graphics mode,
> at least a visible graphics screen.  Although I can sometimes get a
> graphics screen showing boot progress, it never gets to the splash
> screen.  Everything from the text/console screens looks normal.  I
> have not found any errors in the system log.  I've tried switching
> monitors, and get the same result.
>
> Now I've noticed errors in my logwatch email for the last 2 days (same
> error twice):
>
>  --------------------- Kernel Begin ------------------------
>

>  WARNING:  Kernel Errors Present
>      [<c01037ef>] error_code+0x4f/0x54   ...:  69 Time(s)
>      [<c0313190>] do_page_fault+0x0/0x630     [<c01037ef>] error_code+0x4f/0x54 ...:  62 Time(s)
>     Normal free:3224kB min:2776kB low:3468kB high:4164kB active:206364kB inactive:206236kB present:498944kx630     [<c01037ef>] error_code+0x4f/0x54 ...:  1 Time(s)
>
>  ---------------------- Kernel End -------------------------
>
> Because I had not previously noticed this error, I was thinking that
> the video problem was hardware -- I was starting to look for a
> replacement video card.  Now I'm not so sure.
>
> What do these kernel errors mean?

My guess is a buggy video driver.  I used to get these errors with the
proprietary ATI and Nvidia drivers all the time.  The latest Nvidia drivers
I haven't had problems with yet...

> Where are they logged?

You might check /var/log/messages, but as I found out recently, it's highly
distribution-dependant.  The 'dmseg' command is your other option, usually
console messages can be seen there.

> Are the problems related (kernel errors & video problem)?
>
> Any opinion whether this is a hardware or software problem?

I'd try upgrading your drivers and/or kernel before buying a new card.

Matt

believed to be clean.