kernel / video problem

On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 10:34:49AM -0500, gboyce wrote:
> Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 10:34:49 -0500 (EST)
> From: gboyce <gboyce at badbelly.com>
> To: Bill Mills-Curran <bill at mills-curran.net>
> cc: Worcester Linux Users Group <wlug at wlug.org>, BLU Discuss <discuss at blu.org>
> Subject: Re: kernel / video problem
>
> On Mon, 11 Dec 2006, Bill Mills-Curran wrote:
>
> >After rebooting to runlevel 5, I could not get back to graphics mode,
> >at least a visible graphics screen.  Although I can sometimes get a
> >graphics screen showing boot progress, it never gets to the splash
> >screen.  Everything from the text/console screens looks normal.  I
> >have not found any errors in the system log.  I've tried switching
> >monitors, and get the same result.
>
> By "Graphics Mode", are you referring to X or a frame buffer console?
>
> If it's X, have you tried looking at the X server logs?  The log should be
> found in /var/log, and would either be named Xorg.0.log or XFree86.0.log.
> It's generally pretty informative if you read through it.
>
> --
> Greg Boyce

Greg,

I had looked at those logs.  There's a fair amount in them, but no
error (EE) entries.  However, one thing comes to mind...  I had been
playing with screen resolution some weeks before this "event", and
this was the first reboot.  It's possible that I had bumped the
resolution too high.

Bill

believed to be clean.