MythTV storage

[Following up on a thread from last month.]

Derek Atkins wrote:
> Quoting Tom Metro <blu at vl.com>:
>> ...for a home MythTV Backend, I can see scenarios where you might
>> chain a couple of large drives via LVM and no RAID to go for
>> maximum space, and risk not having backups, yet would much rather
>> be able to recover the surviving data from the LVM group if a drive
>> fails.
>
> For myth video I'd just mount the disks separately and configure Myth
> to load-share the space across the mountpoints.  This way if you lose
> a drive you only lose the videos on that drive and not ALL your videos.
>
> I'd not use RAID for that..  I WOULD use RAID for longer-term storage,
> like a backup server or a video/audio jukebox or longer-term storage of
> data that I don't want to lose.

I setup a MythTV box with a pair of 320 GB drives in a software RAID 1
set, and blew through the available space in about 2 or 3 weeks. Now I'm
considering splitting them into two separate drives, or an LVM set.

So how do you configure Myth to "load-share the space across the
mountpoints?" I looked around and couldn't find an explanation for how
to do that. The configuration field for the storage path doesn't mention
the possibility of handling multiple paths. Unless you're talking about
a setup with multiple back-ends.

Otherwise, I guess LVM will be the way to go.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA